Thursday, April 04, 2013

Wha'cha Readin' (yup - Tuesday comes late this week!)


FINISHED

Romance - quick reads -

Deception
Mason
Dade
Gage
The Texas Lawman's Last Stand
Standoff at Mustang Ridge
A Game of Chance (Howard)
Tears of the Renegade (Howard)

OTHER BOOKS
Gifts from the Heart (Hart)
Lily's Pesky Plant (Disney) - a kids book - but should be fun - I hope!

Mystery and other reads - light and otherwise
Above Suspicion by LaPlante (Not Helen McInnes who had book by the same name)
Turn of Mind
The Bells of Freedom  - I've read this before - but it's been YEARS!  A kid's historical fiction read
Marmee & Louisa - the untold story of Louisa May Alcott and her mother.  AWESOME book!

Nonfiction
The American Kitchen 1700 to the Present (la Plante) actually this one SHOULD go back but I enjoy reading about the kitchen things in all the different periods of time

Other Reads
Now we come to my text books! this is the BTDT group, mind you!

Botany - The Private Life of Plants (Attenborough),

Social studies - history - sort of in depth.  Finishing up learning folders in/on archaeology. The ATlas of Archaeology (Taylor), 

For now, I just need PRACTICE - which I am definitely getting!!!!  Handwriting - something I do periodically - that is, if I want to read my own writing!!!  I'm working on Italics Now!

Have discontinued membership until next Oct., Nov. - it's GARDEN time!  Woohoo! Exercise - which until gardening season happens means I don't get enough!  Currently am using both exercises dil showed me - takes about 10-15 minutes, plus going to the gym (Planet Earth) to work on strength training and bicycling on rainy days as well

CURRENTLY READING

Audio Book
A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon  There are a total of 48 discs (I know I said 24 - it's 48) and I LOVE this book!  Part of the Outlander series.  In fact - I love it so much I have the 1st 4 books of the series!

Romance - quick reads -
Run, Hide - Ericson
Killer Body - James
Engaged with the Boss - James
Bundle of Trouble - James
The Pediatrician's Personal Protector - Kane
Detective Daddy - Kane
Private Security - Kane
Death of a Beauty Queen - Kane

Science Fiction/Fantasy
No One Noticed the Cat - McCaffrey
Deluge - McCaffrey
Pegasus in Space - McCaffrey
Double Star - Heinlein
A Knot in the Grain - McKinley

Other Fiction
Little Men - Alcott
Wishes - Deveraux
An Angel for Emily - Deveraux

Nonfiction
There is No Me Without You - Greene

DVD/Videos - 
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - about a young boy's search for memories of his father who died 09/11
The Main Event - a comedy
Moses - I KNEW there was something I forgot during Passover!!!!  These is part of my curricula for Passover!  Had these movies set out - and totally forgot them!  there are 2
Origins: Nova: Disc 1 - this will also be part of my Science curricula

Textbooks
Basic Judaism - a review over basic tenets - this quarter I'm reviewing holidays, etc. and level of celebration  Currently finishing up a learning folder on Passover.  Should be beginning Holocause Rememberance Day which is on the 8th.

The Jewish Woman and her Home (Goldin) , Jewish Holidays and Festivals (Edidin), 40 Things You can do to save the Jewish People (Grishaver), This Is My God (Herman Wouk), It's a Mitzvah (), How to Run a Traditional Jewish Household (Greenberg),The Songs We Sing

Botany - both from an evolutionary standpoint as well as from an overall review of types, etc.
The World of Plants (which helps me set up my learning folder - VERY good, btw), The Evolution of Plants and Flowers (Thomas), Botany Coloring Book (P. Young),Science Scope (Stout) and any lectures online I can find  This WAS going to be a 3 month study - however it will run longer.  No problem!

Social studies - history - sort of in depth.  Finishing archaeology. The ATlas of Archaeology (Taylor).  Starting Sunday I will be working on the Pre-Cambrian History - Archaean first!  Am using the Nova DVD's, some things gleaned from (of all places!) Pinterest, plus my Coloring Book of Evolution.  Additionally - I have LOTS of dinosaur and pre and post dinosaur videos as well.  DO need to make a timeline of some sort to hang up!

Math - A review of basic algebra (my goal is to take calculus - but it has been soooooooooo many years!) I'm currently usingSaxon Math.  However I will have to order in the next 2 courses in math - those books were part of those that were ruined

Beginning Russian - I'm using the Power Glide language course which I like A LOT!  I also have 2 other beginning Russian books should this course appear to go too fast! So far - at one lesson a week - I'm on lesson 7 - will be going to lesson 8

Creative Writing - ummm am using the Writing Strands level 3 - which is ok for instructing kids - HOWEVER....  But then as my daughter puts it - it IS practice and that's what counts!  I'm more than halfway through that book at present.  and yes, upon completion of level 3 - I DO have level 4.

Spelling - working on some of the rest of the 12,000 most frequently mispelled words. (Schools teach ONLY 4300 AT MOST! and based on the high school kids I teach - schools don't teach it well!)  I'm using Spelling Power - which WORKS!

Exercise - We Win - which is a book for a 1 year program.  Thought I would try it myself this year!

No comments:

Followers