Saturday, August 27, 2011

It has been one wierd week!



It has been a strange week (only ONE week?) - an earthquake (which I didn't even know about until I read it on FB!) and now a hurricane - which is on its way here. I've never been in a hurricane before (other than the one that came up the Mississippi - and that was just a lot of rain and a little wind).

At any rate there seems to be a whole culture about them. First are the hurricane parties - which I do NOT understand! I mean - like - a hurricane is a disaster - why then celebrate it with a party? Esp when you are using up supplies you may need in the next few days?

Second on the list comes the last minute rushing around and invading the grocery and other stores. Honestly it is worse than Black Friday (day after Thanksgiving) with people being almost as rude and careless! Like - someone backed into my neighbour's car as she was out doing last minute errands. They didn't even apologize - but just drove off. Meanwhile another lady started ranting and raving at my neighbour because my friend's car had blocked the new lady from getting HER car out of the parking space. When my friend stated that she had just been involved in a car accident - the OTHER lady (new lady) screamed that she didn't care but just move her (friend's) car out of the way! Ugh!

What was I doing? Of course - last minute shopping - and hoping - bottled water (none to be found). Came home and carried my expensive purchases indoors (kitty litter, kitty food - both DESPERATELY needed - TODAY! as well as 1 pound cheddar cheese - a splurge!) Anyway - once that was in - I went to my garden - harvested several likely tomatoes, eggplants, green peppers, some potatoes, greens (mustard I think), and am wondering if ANY or even some of this lovely produce will be here after the hurricane finishes in the area! I sure hope so!

Came inside - filled bathtub with water (for flushing the john as well as emergency useage), have filled all available containers with water (two pitchers, 2 thermos, 3 water bottles, and my "carry cups (3)) - this water all Brita filtered. Put that in the refrig - which should work until the power goes out (when I have a big cook-a-thon! - and by which time I can have most if not all water "canned" in my canning jars.

Speaking of canning - I have FISH and tomatoes (last year's) galore in my refrig - REALLY hate the idea of power outage and not being able to use all this lovely bounty - but I have no pressure cooker (item to get on new list) or appropriate jars for pressure canning (think Kerr - NOT the Mayo jars I usually use in Water bath canning). Still though I DO have veggies, so should do fairly well. Shall see! and make notes for next year.

Otherwise - what to do? Clean - of course. And quilt. At least until the electric goes out - then applique or slice and dice until it gets dark - then go to sleep! Oh yeah - and I MUST do laundry TODAY - BEFORE power outage!

No comments:

Followers