Saturday, March 20, 2010
AM reposting (where I can see it) my list of things to do.......
1. Send quilt to Wendy - Friendship stars
2. Finish handwork on one baby quilt.
3. Last of the baby quilts finished (have more planned - can't start THEM until these are done!)
4. New Year's Mystery quilt done - at least for the upgrade - will send this off to be quilted - maybe.
5. Get a LOT of squares ready for hand work on Grandmother's flower garden - this will go to work with me.
6. Carpenter Star (needs rows sewn together and borders, then get ready to send to quilter)
7. Umm - next part involves several sampler quilts with the same patterns - so doing each block for each quilt - Nathan's, Underground Railroad, and another quilt - spring sweets
8. Apple Cider Quilt (aka Sweet and Sassy)
9. A charm quilt - square in a square Sure wish all the charms were the same size! AND straight!
10. Kids quilt - pink flamingo
11. Kids quilt - Zoo and purple lions
12. Nine patch chain or double nine patch - I need to make up my mind on this!
First though - how I did on last night's list....
1. Clean up the debris - nope - took a nap instead.
2. SEW SEW SEW - see above!!!
3. Go to work (would rather do #2 above!)Yup!!!
4. Sew-in retreat! Yup!!!
5. Shop at home........ Stay AWAY from SH Quilts - So far so good!!!!
6. Foods - GOOD foods Um - does cereal and more cereal count?
7. 30 - 45 minutes exercise... Take pictures of previous items and POST them! We walked around the plant for 15 minutes. No camera though!
9. A few minutes spring cleaning (Kitchen sounds good, pantry also. My room sounds terrific) Um - yeah! DEFINITELY limited time here already!
9. Old or new! SEW SEW SEW SEW SEW!!!!! Tonight - pack up Friendship quilt. Work on baby blanket #1. Can also slice and dice materials! Need to find box for Friendship quilt (Wendy embroiders beautifully!) And got sidetracked on other item.
Now for today's.........
1. Clean up the debris
2. SEW SEW SEW Sew-in retreat! Pack up Friendship Quilt.
3. SEW SEW SEW Sew-in retreat! Baby blanket #1
5. Shop at home........ Soups - bean, also Salmon chowder - get several going - peak season is coming up. Freeze 1 - 2 cup amounts. Shop at home ONLY!
6. Foods - GOOD foods Well, THAT cereal is gone now! Proper food rest of today though! Lunch = salad, soup. Dinner = salmon bisque OR turkey noodle mushroom veggie casserole.
7. 30 - 45 minutes exercise... Take pictures of previous items and POST them! 15 minute walk
8. A few minutes spring cleaning My room sounds terrific, THEN pick up rest of the place and do dishes!) Need to limit time spent here - ONE hour max!
9. Old or new! SEW SEW SEW SEW SEW!!!!!
Friday, March 19, 2010
Question is - what makes a QUILTING movie - at least in MY book?
I don't want something sweet and loving - because then I watch the movie and forget to sew.
Something that is scary frankly upsets me so much I CAN'T sew!
Something very sad and I cry over whatever it is I am sewing.
something funny - and I have to keep jumping up and making potty trips! Or else I get the giggles and wipe out whatever it is I am sewing.
So I watch movies like Eraser, Running Man, Total Recall, - something on that order.
Now IRONING is an altogether different story - and I REALLY like funny movies then. To that end I have Queen Latifah in The Last Holiday. And so I am planning SOMETIME this weekend to have a major ironing session!
It WOULD help if I noted stuff for today I HOPE to do.
1. Clean up the debris
2. SEW SEW SEW
3. Go to work (would rather do #2 above!)
4. Sew-in retreat!
5. Shop at home........ Stay AWAY from SH Quilts - I look like I have at least as many quilt fabrics as they do! And keep Bonnie's idea in mind for quilt backing!
6. Foods - GOOD foods
7. 30 - 45 minutes exercise... Take pictures of previous items and POST them!
8. A few minutes spring cleaning (Kitchen sounds good, pantry also. My room sounds terrific) Need to limit time spent here - ONE area spring cleaning - rest can be picked up!
9. Old or new! SEW SEW SEW SEW SEW!!!!! Tonight - pack up Friendship quilt. Work on baby blanket #1. Can also slice and dice materials!
Yup - it is SEW in night - for quilt retreat (Liberatedquilters@yahoogroups.com), International quilt day, AND I THINK - the Friday Night Sew-In (Handmade by Heidi).
All to the tune of nice quilting movies aka Eraser, Rocky II, Beverly Hills Cop, etc.
March may be more than half over - BUT I found something on someone else's blog that I want to start doing...... and as soon as I figure out how to add buttons - I'm going button crazy and will be adding hers as well.
Anyway - it's Cindy's Porch and has lots of good advice/ideas, etc. Among which is her DO-LOG - which is what I want to add here!
Anyway - Day 1 or 2 - walked yesterday - wanted to scavenger hunt for several items (as per Cindy's list) - fire hydrant, bird, something different or new from what I usually see, (she had suggested someone wearing a toque). And of course forgot the camera! Hopefully will remember this today when I'm at work and we walk!
Found the fire hydrant - of course, right after I made the statement to some walking buddies that there was NO fire hydrant in sight!!!!
Re birds - you could HEAR them. You could see the heron nests. You KNEW the nests were occupied. BUT you couldn't SEE them - that is until we startled some birds in the rushes and reeds near the pond - and one flew away (blue jay? next time I wear my glasses so I can SEE !).
Something NEW - well, new to me - and I settled on a really bright mustard yellow motorbike.... hadn't seen one THAT color before! Now as long as I don't dream about that color.............
Other things for yesterday - overall goals are....
1. Shop at home and shop ONLY with a list. Wally world - I DID get a $5 movie (Queen Latifah - a favorite actress of mine). Also DID get some cold cereal (had lots of hot cereal at home), milk, cheese, bread (was out of this stuff) Didn't do a list!
2. Lay off the crappy foods. Ummm - 2 candy bags (2/$1) and a package of graham crackers later........ Did NOT do well at all on this one!
3. 30 - 40 minutes exercise. DID walk for 15 minutes which is 15 minutes more than the day before!
4. A few minutes spring cleaning. NEXT time I pick up FIRST - THEN spring clean. Worked on paper stuff - mostly put unused notebooks/tablets into a crate to be used later. New rule - do NOT visit office supply until I get this all used up!!! Printed up a batch of stuff - and put into notebook. All the garbage paper - using for paper piecing - and put into a special tub.
5. Old or new. Old - that would be my paper project - did work on that. House now looks like a wreck - guess what I will be doing this PM!
Keep in mind this is based on Cindy's blog - experiences are my own.
Wednesday, March 17, 2010
Yay! Side porch is painted!
Other items of interest - plumber called (at noon) my son who then called me to tell me that he would NOT be by to work on stuff. Will be by tomorrow when son is here. Sure wish he had called earlier! A LOT earlier!
Did NOT go to Wallyworld or buy anything - since I need to make sure my bank acct shows the deposit BEFORE I use it.
DID copy a lot of Food Storage info. So far - all the stored stuff I've just about wiped out this winter!
Kitty did NOT go visit groomer today - am hoping for tomorrow.
Sewing did NOT happen today
But oh man! I finally got some sleep! As well as some paperwork stuff, dishes, etc.
Reconnected up with Cindy's Porch - and am thinking of doing the March madness stuff - at least as much as I am able to do!
As per her suggestions, I want to.......
1. Shop at home FIRST! I have some food storage that really needs to be gone through - and this is as good a time as any!
2. Cut out the crappy foods! I already use whole grain foods. Now I need to set up my menues (by the week and as much as possible from foods I already have!) and FOLLOW them! Plus a shopping list based on my menues is so much cheaper!
3. Ummmm - 30 minutes of exercise - morning yoga routine plus 15 minutes walking - either at work or when I get home! Do the scavenger hunt - (looks like fun!) with my camera! (and then post pix on FB)
4. Few minutes of spring cleaning - focus on rooms - this order - bathroom, my room, sewing room (need more shelving), kitchen (and maybe pantry)
5. Something old or new........ OLD: pile of paperwork - on bookshelves, bottom drawer of filing cabinet and dining room floor (thank you kitty - I LOVE to pick up the mess you knocked over!) 30 minutes.
am soooooooooo sleepy today. not as much as yesterday though. Well - to work, to work, to work!
Today is a vacation day for me (YAY!) Am waiting for the plumber (who unclogged my sink Monday - YAY!) to finish up a job upstairs. I was under the impression he would be here in the morning. Nope!
Problem is - I need to leave the house - get food for dinner, lunch, kitty food, my meds from Wally world, take the kitty to the groomers' and a couple of other things that I forgot already! And I KNOW that if I leave that the the plumber will choose THAT time to show up! Nor do I know the plumber's name and phone number (son contacted them).
In addition, I have the side porch floor to paint (I volunteered - son was determined to paint last night - was falling over he was so tired), clean house somewhat, papers to sort (am looking for specific paper - not finding it so far!), and SOMEWHERE in there SEW!
Sigh! More later
Monday, March 15, 2010
This is entirely too early Monday - especially since I FORGOT that we are now doing daylight savings time (too bad we couldn't save daylight on BOTH ends - so I could sleep late as well as get off work early!)
Was a delightful weekend - sewing interspersed with 15 minutes of doing chores (laundry excepted - and THAT is done for the week!)- and MOSTLY sewing on my quilt stuff! as well as finishing up the current batch of slicing strips and packing them into tubs!
Re tubs - I figure I probably have another couple of quilts there - AT LEAST! YAY!
Plumber comes today! YAY - my sink will get unclogged and I can do dishes!
And re the pictures - Nathan showed me what to do on this - hope to start with the pix tonight! Am so glad! AND I am hoping to get some of those packages SENT!
New day! New week!l
Saturday, March 13, 2010
OK - I may get it altogether YET, today!
Mind you, it is a rainy icky day and one of those chill to the bone kind where all you want to do is snuggle down under the covers (preferably sans cats) and snooze. At least that's my excuse! Reality however...........
The brain IS GOING!!!!
Anyway - Just so I don't drift aimlessly through the retreat - accomplishing little to nothing....
I'm listing ongoing projects in order of working on - hopefully I will accomplish quite a bit. Hopefully.
Won't accomplish ALL of these - but this is the Master List - will add more as time goes on, trade things around and remove projects as completed.
- Send quilt to Wendy - Friendship stars
- Finish handwork on one baby quilt.
- Last of the baby quilts finished (have more planned - can't start THEM until these are done!)
- New Year's Mystery quilt done - at least for the upgrade - will send this off to be quilted - maybe.
- Get a LOT of squares ready for hand work on Grandmother's flower garden - this will go to work with me.
- Carpenter Star (needs rows sewn together and borders, then get ready to send to quilter)
- Umm - next part involves several sampler quilts with the same patterns - so doing each block for each quilt - Nathan's, Underground Railroad, and another quilt - spring sweets
- Apple Cider Quilt (aka Sweet and Sassy)
- A charm quilt - square in a square Sure wish all the charms were the same size! AND straight!
- Kids quilt - pink flamingo
- Kids quilt - Zoo and purple lions
- Nine patch chain or double nine patch - I need to make up my mind on this!
Duh! Forgot - want to post a recipe for the quilting retreat next Friday/Saturday, etc.
This is from Leanne Ely's "Saving Dinner" (2003, Ballantine book)
Crock-Pot Chicken Jambalya (serves 6)
6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1 inch cubes
1/2 pound kielbasa, sliced
1 can tomatoes, undrained
1/2 bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 onion chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
Put everything in crock-pot and turn n low for 7 hours.
serve with brown rice and a big salad.
I can't believe it has been so long since I've blogged! Egads!
Oh yeah - Wendy - re this computer having a tiny slot - and re the photos........ No - this is a basic form of the laptop - no memory slot. I asked Nathan!
At any rate he uploaded the photos to HIS computer and sent them back to me as an attachment - zipped.
Would be nice if I could open the attachment! Firefox does NOT believe me when I say I want to open it and that it is safe! Grrrrrr! Can I say I want an open window with a big ditch nearby????
At any rate - will post pix either when I find the adaptor cord to connect to this puter or when I finally get the email open..... will be a while though!