Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Wha'cha Readin'?


I am a firm believer in the policy of borrowing books from the library.  I borrow 2, take back one, renew the other and borrow 6 more!  At least!

FINISHED
Science Fiction/Fantasy
Winter Witch
Book of Magic: Briar's Book by Tamora Pierce

Romance - quick reads -
Copy That
Cowboy to the Max
Her Stolen Son
The Missing Twin
Certified Cowboy
Cowboy in the Extreme
(The next group of 4 were taken back immediately - I had just read them 2-3 weeks prior)
Cooper Security: Secret Identity
Cooper Security: Secret Hideout
Cooper Security: Secret Assignment
Cooper Security: Secret Agenda

CURRENTLY READING
Audio Book
A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon  There are a total of 48 discs (I know I said 24 - it's 48) and I LOVE this book!  Part of the Outlander series

Romance - quick reads -
Deception
Mason
Dade
Gage
The Texas Lawman's Last Stand
Standoff at Mustang Ridge
A Game of Chance (Howard)
Tears of the Renegade (Howard)
Gifts from the Heart (Hart)
Lily's Pesky Plant (Disney) - a kids book - but should be fun - I hope!

Mystery and other reads - light and otherwise
Above Suspicion by LaPlante (Not Helen McInnes who had book by the same name)
Turn of Mind
The Bells of Freedom  - I've read this before - but it's been YEARS!  A kid's historical fiction read
Marmee & Louisa - the untold story of Louisa May Alcott and her mother.  AWESOME book!

Nonfiction
The American Kitchen 1700 to the Present (la Plante) actually this one SHOULD go back but I enjoy reading about the kitchen things in all the different periods of time

Other Reads
Now we come to my text books!
Basic Judaism - a review over basic tenets - this quarter I'm reviewing holidays, etc. and level of celebration  Currently studying Pesach or Passover.
The Jewish Woman and her Home (Goldin) , Jewish Holidays and Festivals (Edidin), 40 Things You can do to save the Jewish People (Grishaver), This Is My God (Herman Wouk), It's a Mitzvah (), How to Run a Traditional Jewish Household (Greenberg), The Songs We Sing


Botany - both from an evolutionary standpoint as well as from an overall review of types, etc.
The Private Life of Plants (Attenborough), The Evolution of Plants and Flowers (Thomas), Botany Coloring Book (P. Young), Science Scope (Stout) and any lectures online I can find  This WAS going to be a 3 month study - however it will run longer.  No problem!

Social studies - history - sort of in depth.  Currently readings in/on archaeology. The ATlas of Archaeology (Taylor), Guides to History Plus (Stout), and some other info that I  used when teaching my kids. 
I'll be starting (next week) the unit on Pre-Cambrian history - both on the Archaean and Proterozoic eras - and will be using several other books then as well which I will list next week.  

Math - A review of basic algebra (my goal is to take calculus - but it has been soooooooooo many years!) I'm currently using Saxon Math.  However I will have to order in the next 2 courses in math - those books were part of those that were ruined

Beginning Russian - I'm using the Power Glide language course which I like A LOT!  I also have 2 other beginning Russian books should this course appear to go too fast! So far - at one lesson a week - I'm on lesson 7 - will be going to lesson 8

Creative Writing - ummm am using the Writing Strands level 3 - which is ok for instructing kids - HOWEVER....  But then as my daughter puts it - it IS practice and that's what counts!  I'm more than halfway through that book at present.  and yes, upon completion of level 3 - I DO have level 4.

Handwriting - something I do periodically - that is, if I want to read my own writing!!!  I'm working on Italics Now!

Spelling - 
working on some of the rest of the 12,000 most frequently mispelled words. (Schools teach ONLY 4300 AT MOST! and based on the high school kids I teach - schools don't teach it well!)  I'm using Spelling Power - which WORKS!

I could probably add in exercise - which until gardening season happens means I don't get enough!  Currently am using both exercises dil showed me - takes about 10-15 minutes, plus going to the gym (Planet Earth) to work on strength training and bicycling on rainy days as well


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you have been reading up a storm. I'm going to look for the scifi this week. I haven't read any in a while.

Bonnie said...

It's nice to see that you admit to reading all those light weight romances. I do too but just talk about them. I hear you on taking out bunches and returning as I read and renewing as necessary. But darn, sometimes I don't get it read before the renewal periods. Bummer

Followers