Saturday, March 03, 2012

A Funny Thing happened....



A funny thing happened on my way to clean yesterday - I got a call to come substitute teach! 

YAY!!!

Especially since I Love to teach! 

Although the teaching yesterday was more all-day reading (all classes - 5).  Which was as well.  In the interest of "modeling" reading behavior - I decided to join my young students - and read one book by noon (quite interesting) and ALMOST (with exception of 50 pages) completed another by school dismissal (this one was of one of my favorites - the young Sherlock Holmes).  Still and all it was a nice restful day.  didn't accomplish a thing at home - in fact, I got home and proceeded to fall asleep over the computer so took myself off to bed for a nice nap.  Woke up several hours later - fixed and ate dinner, played TM for a while, made plans what all I was going to do today - and went back to bed. 

Does it help any to say that while the classroom was definitely overheated - my apartment was definitely the other direction and I felt like I was freezing???? (This despite the thermostat saying it was 70!  The thermostat LIES!)

So - what to do?  Son is supposedly coming over today so we can (oh joy!) clean and clear off that side porch, put up plastic so I have a temporary (read the word TEM PO RARY!!!! and pray that isn't for the next 5 or more years!) greenhouse!  Should be easy enough - hopefully.  6 ml plastic which is what the greenhouses use.  Lathing to hold the plastic in place so it won't rip.  Hopefully. Wind the plastic around the OUTSIDE of the posts.  Put something across the porch floor to cover the 1/2 inch wide cracks between boards - and cover that probably with cheap indoor outdoor carpeting.  Get a table (potting table for now) and set it up. 

Oh yeah - door - flap on one end - so I can use that as a doorway. 

Gro-lights - that's the only thing that is tricky - not even sure I really need them since I get a lot of indirect light during the day - as in this is NOT a south facing exposure - but east with another house maybe 20 - 30 feet away.  Some shading - but NOT really that bad at all.  Still and all.....

Gro-lights - a shoplight suspended by chains with electric cord probably wound around and through the chains - and plugged into my kitchen (no outside outlet) after being wound through windows - including the busted one (storm window is busted - NOT the inside one).

SHOULD work.  Hopefully it will!

AND if son does NOT show up (as in NO ONE in their right mind looks forward to cleaning off that porch - in the snow, yet!) - then I can haul stuff up to the fence.  There are some doors - and I have clothesline, hammer and nails - and can rig up a way to haul the jerry-rigged toboggan with it's full load of JUNK to the fence for easier access.

No comments:

Followers