Thursday, February 02, 2012

GROUNDHOG DAY!!!!


LOL _ and where else do we celebrate the appearance of a critter who we usually do NOT see - and when we do, unless it is February, we complain at the destruction he does in our yards! 

Posted recipe reply to Wendy's comment this morning.  Guess I need to address the subject of my cooking!  (Alright, Wendy and Nathan - time to stop laughing, pick yourselves up off the floor!)

Reality is - I make these WONDERFUL menues, fantastic recipe concepts - and sometimes am even a superb cook!  Then there are the other times!

Foods I can usually cook well include breads (including rolls, an occasional brioche, challah, pastry, pastry pockets, meringues - and on and on), USUALLY soups - including some of my own creation. 

Refrigerator soup - Set pot of water - about 4 - 5 cups or so on to boil, open refrigerator door - add leftover greenbeans, the last of the tomato juice, scan the vegetable drawer, any leftover chunked up meats/sauces/etc. (usually one - maybe 2 kinds of meat IF I use meat - NOT a sweet/sour recipe though - that goes in something different).  Journey through my dried foods - and maybe add some dried corn, maybe beans or peas, dried carrots, whole grain - wheat, barley - add SOME of each.  Bring whole thing to a boil. (Maybe add a cube or so of appropriate flavored bouillion to soup)  Turn off (dried beans - remember????) 

Leave for about an hour (alternative is to add maybe 6 -7 hours to cooking time) then turn back onto a simmer.  Cook for a while longer - maybe adding rice at this point if using.  Season appropriately - for me - that is Mrs. Dash - and a tour through my herbs - usually involving savory if I have beans, thyme, maybe sage - whatever I think will taste good.  Oh yeah - and lots of garlic and PEPPER!  Including maybe a dash or four of hot pepper.  Add potatoes during last hour of cooking.  Make sure that you have added tomatoes - whether juice, fresh from garden or canned (or frozen tomato marbles, LOL)

I think that's it.  Oh yeah - you need toast with this.  Great for cold winter days or when you have a cold.  Or - just about any time!

Other than that - quilt class last night - log cabin - she is so great at teaching that class!  AND is so helpful during those times when class is not in session and I call frustrated that my quilt is NOT DOING what it is supposed to!  Anyway - quilt top is DONE - excepting the borders (need to get some different fabric from what I have - which isn't enough) which has to wait until day after payday!

Now on to clean house, sort papers (UGH UGH UGH) today and tonight - work on another quilt project for at least an hour.  At least. 

No comments:

Followers