Wednesday, February 29, 2012

It's SNOWING!


I just got back from the grocery.  Earlier I had picked up the mail - and my garden seeds were in.

Let me tell you - that is a wierd feeling when the garden seeds come in - and the area is in the midst of an old-fashioned blizzard!!!  Not quite white out - but ALMOST!  Definitely hazardous road conditions - if only because the weather had been so warm - and acted like we were going to skip winter this year!

Nevertheless....

Re the grocery store - I picked up a bunch of spices and herbs.  Earlier this week I had decided to finally tackle my spices and toss those whose expiration date was past.  I expected a few to be tossed.  OH MY!  I tossed a bunch!  Worst were the ones I remember "inheriting" from my mom and dad when dad passed on.  Dad died in 2003.  Mom had passed 5 years earlier and I KNOW she didn't invest in any new spices during the last few years of her life.  Shall I say that the spices I tossed were definitely "vintage"?  Now I know of someone who likes to hold onto spices and herbs beyond their usual expiration date - he says it gives the spices a richness and mellowness he wouldn't find otherwise.  Mine should have been so rich that they NEVER would need to be used!

So - while I carried home just a few dinky bags - there were a lot of spices that I USE in there (garlic, tarragon, red pepper flakes) at least to tide me over until my herb garden perrenials decide to do their thing again! and then there was the tobasco sauce - now in hot and beastly cry your eyes out hot!  Got some of that! 

Also picked up some canned chili.  Could have made some homemade - but wanted some pre-canned at least in stock.  Wanted Taylor's chili - but couldn't find it.  There is something about cold weather, snow and the need/desire for Taylor's chili!  Yum!

No comments:

Followers