Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Preserving Kettle


Today - am preserving a lot of not much! 

HOWEVER.... I thought it might be nice to:
(1) Draw up a tentative harvest calendar (when whatever is in season - and underscore when MY stuff is supposed to be in season
(2) Write up a tentative list of what I wanted preserved how!!!!  (ie, Peaches.... spiced, canned, pie filling, peach jam, peach cherry marmalade, peach amaretto chestnut conserve (no, I don't have a recipe for this - sounds like a possibility though!), peach pickles, peach ketchup (yup - there IS such a thing - use on or with meats!), dried peaches, peach brandy, peach liqueur, and just for fun - peach ice cream! - along with a hoped for buy in (no, my brand new baby peach tree is NOT ready for this!)

Game plan would be to keep this in my notebook - and then post on a month calendar of events maybe, posting the more interesting recipes along the way (and no, I'm NOT trying the super old fashioned way of bottling peaches - ie, filling bottle with water and putting lid on.)   And then put how much (if any) I actually did do.

And yes, I HAVE made all this - in a single year - had a windfall of 22 bushel of overripes and seconds for 22 dollars!!!!!!  Was great!  Would have been better if greedy gut that I am I hadn't set my eyes on the plums (seconds also) and got 7 bushel of those as well as apples.  Still and all I DID get all that put up - (TG that not all the seconds were ripe and could hold a day or 2!!!!) along with the sweet corn, green beans, tomatoes (all by the bushel) that my dd and a neighbour thoughtfully picked for me!  Shall I say that it was also one of the hottest weeks of the year and I didn't have air!  And went without sleep for 3 days running before I collapsed in a pile of peach peelings, snoring away madly!!!!

Keys are MODERATION and SPACING THE HARVEST ALL OUT!!!!

No comments:

Followers