Tuesday, April 24, 2012

State of the Garden - 04-24-12


Garden tilling done (whoopee!!!!)  I wasn't going to till and was going to set up completely with lasagne gardening - but due to opening up - and tilling under a new area - I without thinking turned under all the gazillion leaves in that area - so - no raw materials for a while at least!

Game plan - this fall - will set up 2 - 3 more long beds (28-30' x 4')  That's the thought anyway - we'll see!  Do know however tilling is NOT for the weak at heart and those who are iffy about garden plans!

Peas are in (whoopee!)  except for limas and cowpeas which go in May 1 or thereabouts.  Beans - posts are in - need to string the fence - although I will probably wait until after beans are planted - in another week or 2.

Salad and Coles - growing wonderfully in greenhouse - EXCEPT for those plants which are drought stricken (dried up)  Next year - I plant in FLATS - NOT in peat pots!  Still need to get my marigolds going though - but will probably seed those out in the garden proper.  Am putting onions in with salad stuff - should deter some  bugs - even tho onions are a "root" crop!

Potatoes and roots - have put in the add on section - am thinking I need more - I also bought in some sweet potato plants Beauregard I believe.  Have set up tall hills for those since I have no desire to visit China by digging my way through the earth!  My seed potatoes arrived - and I have some of them planted.  Am at point where I need a row stretcher or some such!  Still need to get the rest in - plus also need to get the rest of the root crops in toute suite!

Tomatoes and buddies - doing great in greenhouse - a few dried up though - will have to see how all is going.

Squash and Sweet corn - not yet - not yet! 

Whew!!!! 

Still need to get the rest of my herbs in.

Did get some flowers, etc. from a very nice lady in Southwick.  I still want to get some Lilac bushes and would like to ge a lot of varieties of peonies and Iris as well!  and - oh yeah - petunias!

I think I need to clone myself at this point!  And will actually be doing great to get everything in and growing well - and then, of course, begins canning season!  (which is sort-of right now - tail end of winter)

Hope to find the cord that goes to my camera - then will post pix of everything.  Hopefully it all will grow.  So far the best growing are the gazillion baby maples that seem to be EVERYWHERE!!!!

No comments:

Followers