Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Tomato Tuesday (will be on Thursdays)

This is an idea I saw on another blog.  Kind of keeps me accountable for (1) planting, (2)care and maintenance of those beds (SHOULD be tomato/pepper/eggplant/tomatillo Thursdays!)  However....

Today I planted the seeds - only 2 weeks late for bell peppers and eggplants  for this region (March 22-28) and 1 week late for tomatoes (hot peppers would have been March 15).   Tomatoes, Basil (I'm raising some with the tomatoes this year in addition to my herb garden), cilantro (herbs), dill (herbs), Thyme (herbs) plus Oregano (I already have that - and it has been doing very well!) all are to be planted around here from March 29 - April 4 - IN THE GREENHOUSE - or inside - whichever!  And -= if I have extra tomato plants - I may try raising some in with the strawberries - SHOULD work.  Hopefully!

But then I also planted all the cool/cold weather crops (coles, onion seed) the week before - only 6 weeks late!  :(  Poor dears will be raised during hot weather - may have to put up some sun shading for them - either that or sink the peat pots into the ground a bit earlier than otherwise intended. (Leeks were supposed to be transplanted today in this region - I just got through putting in the seed!  Hmmm!)

Anyway - currently they are in the greenhouse - WAITING to grow. 

Also - pruned my poor apple tree.  The other 3 trees have been waiting to be planted - think I will scout around and see what I can find for a spade!  Nathan gets busy and forgets - besides - these are MY trees - and he more than has his hands full!

I quilted/cleaned with Wendy this past Sunday - was great!  I always have fun doing that!  Anyway - I think she is jealous - she wants A LOT to get started on her garden as well!

Nathan who was always the kid who was not about to garden - says he will be getting hot peppers and tomatoes and some potatoes - planting them in planters on his deck.  I think he will enjoy that!

Speaking of potatoes - MY potato order hasn't come in yet - and I'm getting VERY nervous!!!!  This would be the second year I've ordered from Ronniger's - and I know they have been super busy.  I just don't want to miss my planting dates (like I have the onion seeds!)  nor do I want my potatoes lost in transit!



1 comment:

Wendy said...

Can't garden. Can't seem to get the hang of growing things in this climate. I live vicariously through you.

Followers