Wednesday, July 04, 2012

State of the Garden - Tuesday

Wish I had pix for this - will soon - I hope!  My asthma is still doing a number on me - so I don't dare be out too long - which I know the mosquitos and gnats will be sorry for (I'm also allergic to them!) 

Perrenial patch - strawberries are done.  Asparagus is HUGE - and falling over.  And I REALLY need more asparagus!  Really!  However currently I have some tomatoes that can use the gazillion bare spaces here.  Pretty weed free.  Essentially.  I do have SOME rhubarb harvested - need to get more!  LOVE that plant - want to move it this fall - and divide it if possible - as well as plant more - a LOT more!

Beans and Peas - perking along pretty well - still throwing parties for the birds - and I'm still able to get maybe 4 - 6 pea pods off the snow peas!  watered them Monday - need to check - I think probably Thurs - for blooms, etc.  Butterpeas are blooming.  Beans are blooming and HURRAH - a baby green bean!!!!  I need to start checking for this as well.  Trying to get stuff in refridge used and set for quick meals so I can can this harvest and not have to worry about stopping to fix a meal!

Salad section - am picking salad - although not on Wed - still wheezing a bit - not bad.  Did plant more mustard and wanted to plant kale - but seed already went to the birds!  :(  Greenhouse onions looking pretty good on one side - and spotty on the other - but then the other side is where the birds are throwing dusty spa parties!  Especially right in the middle of the leeks!!!  Grrrr!!!!!  Next year - bird netting!  Cole plants are almost ok - I have to transplant a bunch - waiting a couple weeks for hopefully cooler weather.  hahahaha!

Oh yeah!  I have a BROCCOLI!!!!  And not too babyish either!  I have to keep an eye on this - or it will go to seed!

Sweet corn and squash - corn is getting tall - at least taller than the squash - and doing great!!!!  Squash - I have BLOSSOMS!!!!! on summer squash!  Pumpkins and melons too!!!!  Yeehaw!!!

Watermelon plant is definitely looking watermelonish - but small - don't know if it will make or not - think I'll start investigating season extender thingies. 

Eggplant - looking good - as are the peppers - small - but good!  Tomatillo - um - I KNOW it is there - I just need to look harder for it - and weed! 

tomatoes - oh my - yes!  The plants look great - small - but great.  No blooms yet - but great! 

Sweet potatoes are doing their viney thing =- and we are discussing the boundaries of their territory. 

Beets, other root crops - hmmmm - I am re-planting a bunch here.  It is very spotty.  clump of parsnips - then nada.  same for all roots.  Think maybe of putting (1) worm castings in area, (2) re-planting a bunch - but not the long season thingies (3) putting a switcher on water hose - and leaving hose set up permanently there - running this maybe first every watering session.

Potatoes are still doing their potato thing - and I'm looking forward to harvest time.  However I STILL haven't gotten the soil there hilled up - and think it may be a bit late for that.  We'll see.

Raspberries - oh yeah!  I ate my first RASPBERRY on Tues AM - straight off the bush (best way to eat them in my book!)  Looking forward to harvest time! 

Blackberries - still greener than gourds!

Blueberries and my tree fruit - other than the 2 baby pears (which are still there - YAY) are probably on next year's list. 

Flowers - some a bit scorched - I need to sit down with them and deliver some serious TLC! as well as remove all deadhead blossoms!

No comments:

Followers