Friday, July 05, 2013

There comes a time when.....

Last year's (2012) salad section - with coles, salads, onions and beans.
DEFINITELY not looking like this year's sad offering!

There comes a time when I seriously have to think about whether or not I want to continue gardening.....

I'm there!

Every YEAR I'm there! And it lasts - from about July (yup!  It's July!) to about a month after fall frosts!

And then I start thinking of garden catalogs and all those heirloom seeds I haven't tried yet (never mind that I PLANTED them this year - and the birds/bugs/neighborhood critters enjoyed them - or that the grass grows faster than the seeds - or that it really was too shady in that spot next to the fence (yup - DEFINITELY got caught on that one - wiped out the early root crops, salad crops and most of the coles!  At least I think that's what wiped them out!  Poor spindly looking things!!!!

And about this time I look at the plants - most of which are standing still and trying to decide whether they are actually going to produce or just keep blooming - or worse yet, are just trying to decide whether or not they will make it another day or not (geez!  Sounds like my aching back!!!!).  Anyway - I look at them - and I get DEPRESSED!!!!!  I think of all the work I HAVE/AM/WILL BE putting in on them - and I want to cry!  Which considering everything may not be such a bad idea!

THAT part lasts until the tomatoes and all the veggies decide they are going to start bearing fruit and the 5th planting of lettuce (other 4 didn't grow) actually grows - and - WOW - all of a sudden I'm up on top of the world - still not sure I want to do a garden again - but definitely appreciating - and gloating over all the wonderful veggies.  It is just the in between part when I wonder if ANY veggies/fruits will ever appear - and when I see my lovely peas (planted fine - and thickly - the pigeons thoroughly enjoyed their lunch!) waving their super thinned out spindly rows - full of peas mind you - but like only a handful at a time! (I am talking about planting a LOT of peas!)

I DO think though - that IF I plant a garden again - I DEFINITELY am going to take a Master Gardener course from somewhere and see what I can do about improving life - and conditions for my poor veggies and flowers, and DEFINITELY am going to make all contraptions I need to (ie squash ladders) during winter and DEFINITELY am going to make arrangements to raise greenhouse veggies for early planting (not sure I will keep the greenhouse I have or go to inside planting and cold frame for hardening off which is what I'm thinking about)as well as DEFINITELY making sure I have whatever nutrients I need IN PLACE or at least available for WHEN I need them, as well as making sure I have the proper pH levels (plants that are fed right and with correct pH are NOT bothered as much by insects as those that are spindly, weak, and lacking proper nutrients - sorta like people!)

It is just that it is soooooooooooo easy to bop over to the grocers and BUY in what I need - or order online.  Also expensive.  Also limiting.  VERY limiting!  Plus - if I DON'T garden - then I need to either go walking (not happening - at least during allergy season and until I build up back muscles!) or re-join the gym (planned for fall - LATE fall).

Hmmm - maybe I ought to go online and join one of those dating things - and find someone else who truly enjoys gardening - and who would take over all the mundane, itchy, mosquito and chigger infested chores and let me do the seed orders!  Think that will happen????

No comments:

Followers