Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Tuesday's chores - WAIWO - 07-30-13

Wow!  Just figured out - if I want to show as having used 100 yards this year in quilts - then I need to use 5.5 yards (slightly less, actually!) a week!  Backings - here I come!

Woke up early - was SUPPOSED to go to Sturbridge with son today to help move the rest of his stuff - but his job (he's on call 24/7) meant that he was up until 4 AM.  His bride is not going to be happy!  Their bed is still in Sturbridge (a case of each thought the other had it in truck/moving van, etc.  It wasn't!)  Can't blame her a bit though.  They were NOT ready to move - even though they said they were!  Or at least they didn't pack the way I would have (of course, I packed EVERYTHING = except for my clothes which I almost left behind!)

Went out to garden - wheezing and hacking the whole way.  I think powdery mildew has hit my cukes and my squash.  It happens when there is beastly hot weather followed by rain and super cooled weather. Which just about describes the weather around here.  I am NOT happy and may lose ALL the squash as a result - including the pink banana and the striped gooseneck that I have been so hungering for.  Worst yet - the mildew spreads - and will remain in the soil for something like 10 years.  I rotate - but not sure I can rotate crops well enough to keep out of the 10 year minimum areas.  Blast it!  If this is - I wonder how a strong vinegar rinse poured as hot as possible over the soil would do!  Researching disease now.

FINALLY one of the yellow pear tomatoes are ripe - well, ALMOST ripe!  seems silly to get so excited over something so small!

Sweet corn - the first batch is ripening too!  Had one ear yesterday - for some reason - was a very SHRIMPY little ear!  have 2 more batches to go.  Was supposed to be 3 (one even planted twice!) - but one batch didn't even bother to show up! (the one planted TWICE, of course!)  May have to forgo the organic part and go buy in sweet corn - hate to spend the price though!

Made some sweet tea of a combo of teas - Tetley black tea (2 bags) and 2 bags of (embarrassed grin here!) Celestial Seasonings' Sugar Cookie Tea (which actually is not too bad - IF sweetened!)

Ticked off at my last batch of bread though - which SUNK and was overly crusty (couldn't eat the crust - and I LIKE crusts!) as well as having supersized holes!  Think I will go back to my tried and true - WITHOUT the bread machine bread!

re housework - ummm - didn't do much yesterday except sew - and mostly listen to audiobooks (Giving quilt by Jennifer Chiaverini - LOVE that audiobook!)  so today - am STARTING with yesterday's list - and then proceeding to whatever I can do of today's!

GARDEN - weed, re-plant, etc. - pouring rain off and on - no gardening today - looks pretty nice, actually!
  • Harvest
    • DONE sweet corn????
    • HAVE 2 LOVELY ONES, but didn't harvest them eggplant
    • DONE tomatoes
    • DONE cucumbers
STUDIES  - 4 days only (I figure I will be helping out at Lynn and Nathan's at least 1 day)
  • Religion - each day's readings/mini books
  • Read
  • Math - 1 lesson per day
  • Russian -
  • Creative Writing - each day's lesson
  • Social Studies - hold this week
  • Science - hold this week
QUILT
KITCHEN
MENU
DONE B: Homemade bread, toasted, with creamed cheese
DONE L: pasta fagioli soup
DONE D: cheese omelet with veggies of every description - was good

No comments:

Followers