Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Wow - Wednesday - already! 08-28-13

WHY do I want to say it is Tuesday????  I've had it in my mind that it is Tuesday all day!   Maybe it has to do with some schools starting up yesterday - and I associate first day of classes with a Monday???  Ya think?

Re that - I got my first sub call yesterday ...  unfortunately son had my car so I couldn't have gone to teach even if I had been able to move faster than a slow shuffle!

Slow shuffle - got the results yesterday - yup!  I have TWO bone spurs on my left heel!  Not being content with just one bone spur - or just plantar fascitis - I had to go for two bone spurs - like going for the gold!  NOT!  Treatment is still the same - essentially nada - except for my "little old lady" shoes that I still have to get (currently I'm wearing low 1 - 1.5" heels - but no real side support and no real arch support either).  That has to wait for $$$ first part of Sept.

Garden looks great - EXCEPT for where the sweet corn (just about all is done for!) is knocked down by the "critter" - or by the squash vine - whichever!  Squash - 2 kinds - both winter - Summer squash is still only 2.5 inches tall!  Tomatoes are coming in nicely - although one bush of the Romas has yet to have a single tomato on it that isn't beginning blossom end hit (healthy bush - sick fruit!).  My Brandywine tomatoes are starting to ripen although I thought I had RED Brandywine tomatoes as opposed to PINK!  NO!  Still and all - they are wonderful - and HUGE!  Zebra tomatoes - very good and will do those again!  Kellogg's - I will try again next year - I'm NOT impressed with this year's harvest.

Eggplants are still setting on fruit - so far averaging maybe 3-4 eggplants per bush.  Sweet peppers and the hot peppers (at the opposite end of the garden) are just starting to do their thing - so I'm letting them!  root crops and salad crops - well, let's just say that the pigeons are getting VERY fat and sassy! and I'm starting to think of squab pie!  I'll be lucky to get a dozen beets out of the group - and forget the mustard, fall lettuce, spinach, kale and chard!  Disgusting is what it is!  With exception of my Chinese cabbage (michihili - wish I had my favorite one planted!), this winter I'm making CAGES for my salad plants!

Butterpeas are merrily tooling along - as are the field peas which is great - and the fall planting of beans is just starting to do their bean thing - hopefully this will mean more of the French Filet that my family is so fond of!

HOUSE - ummmmm - parts have been royally decluttered.  Then there are the OTHER parts - the ones I am avoiding!!!!  That is, I'm referring to the Dining area and the study.  Living room MOSTLY has been decluttered - excepting videos and dvds which I need to do!  Kitchen has been mostly decluttered - but it mostly gets rearranged when the dining area stuff is complete.  Dining area - table decluttered - and most of the floor is - but I STILL don't know where to stash that blasted greenhouse!  And am thinking seriously of either (1) re-homing it, (2) sizing it down for cold frames which makes more sense anyway - and which I have room for, (3) putting it up - SOMEWHERE (in an alternate universe? because I'm not sure I have room enough for it in this one!), (4) putting it down in the basement H*** hole - with all the spiders..... uh, a big NO on that one!

Studies are still on holds - and I have part of the curricula I will need for the rest of this year - exception being the math for the next level.  Russian will continue, as will social studies (separate books and I have all I need for probably the next year), Same with Science - which will be followed by a unit probably on geology - that one I will have to get books and materials for.  Creative writing - I have the next level - but need the one after that which I expect to get to about January - maybe.  I have all the rest I need currently for Religion, music, art - but will need to get a good book on history of music, think I might still have 2 good books on history of art - do need to get something for the how to make various instruments etc. - but that is still a bit away.

TODAY.............

  • DONE - and a mighty fine one it was!!! NAP

HOUSE
QUILT
  • DONE Stash Report - week 34
  • DONE Design Wall - Week 34
  • NOT DONE - worked on it Back to Square One - step 5
GARDEN
  • DONE Thin kohlrabi - 2nd row
  • DONE Whip those beets into shape - cover what's left with screening - give those pigeons a toothache!
  • DONE - 1 row Thin turnips
KITCHEN
MENU
DONE B: Tea, corn fritters and syrup, turkey bacon
DONE L: soup- lo pasta fagioli
DONE : Mac and cheese, zucchini and tomatoes

No comments:

Followers