Friday, May 30, 2014

And Mosquitos are OUT! Drat it!


Mosquitos LOVE me - for breakfast, lunch and dinner - and particularly if it is going to rain!

I've heard that mosquitos will "favor" someone who wears a scent - including scented underarm deoderants, scented hair lotion as well as perfumes and other assorted fragrances.  They will also "favor" someone who has blonde hair over brown.

So - guess what - I go charging out to my garden - complete with pear scented underarm deoderant, hair washed in aloe whatsis scented hair shampoo and otherwise resembling a fruit garden in the middle of summer.  And what color is my hair?  Well, that's a good question - I've been trying to decide that for the last 6-8 weeks - and having decided that yes, indeed, I AM allergic to hair dye - it is still blonde enough for mosquitos in the next county to come winging my way!  I swear - the mosquitos here - rather than keeping it all to themselves, put me on the net - and I ended with a full congregation of mosquitos giving thanks that I happened their way!  Ugh!

I am now back inside - complete with enough silver dollar welts that I only wish that they were in coin so I could collect and retire!

What about OFF and such like?  Outside of the fact that OFF and I don't get along on many basis (OFF spells ON to my mosquitos!) and that I am one of the lucky ones who is allergic to pennyroyal (a type of mint plant that does keep away mosquitoes - even if a person is allergic to the plant!) - I need to remember what I use every year to keep the dratted things away!  And therein lies the problem.  I seem to have a memory that doesn't remember important little things like this!  Ask me what the square root of - well, I don't remember that either - but you get the idea!

I do remember using cider vinegar and that it helped.  Now if I could remember if I used it BEFORE I went outside and it worked - or if I used it AFTER I came back in and that the vinegar killed the mosquito itch!  I do suspect though that since vinegar's effectiveness for many things lies in its acidity - that I used it BEFORE I went out.  So will have to test that and see.  More later.

1 comment:

Podunk Pretties said...

They say garlic repels them. I eat it almost daily, and the pest don't like me as much as they do my beer drinking sweety. They really like beer. You might try the local health food store for a natural spray. Or Skin so Soft by Avon.

Followers