Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Tuesday's Prepping challenge - 05-13-14 and an OOPS!

Today has been an Oops!  I had a Drs. appt - one of the exams we women love to hate!  Ugh!  Hate those things!

Started off eating toast and rushing around getting ready to go to the appointment - fed myself, fed cats, medicated and gave insulin to my diabetic kitty.  Raced to the car, to the appt - to be 45 minutes early!  Trust me - the LAST thing I want is to be EARLY for those blessed stirrups!  At any rate, I sat there and read my book (Beastmaster by Andre Norton - read MANY times, a kids book and a favorite in my family!)  Had the exam (all ok!  YAY!) and headed home.

Then I drove by Mcdonald's!

My excuse is that my mind was on that and I just wanted to console myself by promising myself a treat after it was all done!  At any rate a caramel frappe jumped in my car and accompanied me all the way home.  This is an addiction to me!  I must like brain freezes because you can measure every spring by Caramel Frappes at my house!

Then - OMG!  I'm on the Prepping Challenge!  I guess nothing for it but to own up!  And take my medicine!  However I now have something to put on my learned list!  Two somethings actually! Not that this stopped me from FINISHING my treat!  LOL

Today's prepping.... It occurred to me (which is why I remembered at all) that GASOLINE would also be on my prepping challenge - and also something for when I would be unable to find gasoline or a working gas station (requires electric for gas pumps to work!  Something I found out during that Tornado aftermath!)  A no-buy week would include gasoline - and if I had allowed my gas tank to sink to it's usual almost non-existent minimum - I would be stranded without gas at approximately the end of my driveway!

I guess it is time today to see what I can do about packing my "emergency" kit.  Food storage made easy has an excellent article and video on this.  Plus - I want to also pack my "emergency" paperwork kit - which info you can find on several other lists - including Flylady.com for a more abbreviated list.

Meals
B:Apple fritters - only I didn't have time to fix this before my morning appt.  Drat it!  fixed toast instead.  Apple fritters probably later today.  Yum!  Apples I had bought in - about 2 weeks ago (I try to shop no oftener than once every 2 weeks - preferably monthly.
L:salad - Cabbage-apple-raisin slaw, cheese sandwich Raisins I had in stock, as well as Mayo for the slaw but for cabbage, apples - and the cheese - I had bought these in previous to the prepping challenge.  Bread was homemade.
D:Leftovers, salad - potato salad, baked beans, fruit salad, deviled eggs - sort of a picnic probably in front of the computer! LOL  Potatoes, and fruits for the fruit salad as well as the eggs - all this I had bought in previous to the challenge.  Baked beans - I prepared from dried beans and used molasses I had in stock.  I didn't worry about the meat to go with the beans since I usually make vegetarian style baked beans.  

Other things to do today.......
  • GO AND DO
    • DONE Dr. appt
    • DONE Exercise - 15 - 30 or more a day
    • DONE 3 meals a day
    • DONE 3 snacks (part of each meal) - and mention
HOUSE - springtime decluttering - and freecycling
  • PAPERWORK - a mountain of it! work on at least a half hour a day 
    • DONE T
  • ZONE 1
    • Front porch
      • DONE WHB for LAST Fri
    • Side Porch 
        • DONE Zone
        • DONE WHB for LAST Fri
      • Entrance
        • DONE WHB for LAST Fri
        • Back Stairs
          • DONE WHB for LAST Fri
      • ZONE 2 - 
        • Kitchen
          • DONE WHB for LAST Fri
        • Dining Area
          • DONE WHB for LAST Fri
        • ZONE 3 
          • Bath
              • DONE WHB for LAST Fri
              • Laundry Room
                • DONE WHB for LAST Fri
              • Sewing Room
                • DONE WHB for LAST Fri
              • Study
                • DONE WHB for LAST Fri
            • ZONE 4 
              • BR - 
                • DONE WHB for LAST Fri
            • ZONE 5 
              • LR 
                • DONE WHB for LAST Fri
            GARDEN - 
            • Rake lawn
              • DONE S - front and W side house.  Prepare seed beds - W. side house.
            • DONE Seed inventory - Complete this Sunday
            • DONE Seeds ready to order - 
              STUDIES - (NOTE - will work on week's assignments - Mon AM to update from weekend frenzy)
              • EXERCISE - week 5 (increase times and add a routine - date/3 + R)
                • Yoga A wk 5 (date/3 +1)
                  • DONE 05/13
              • MATH
                • DONE 88
              • RUSSIAN
                • Continue Daily review
                  • DONE Lesson 8
              • HANDWRITING
                • Book A
                  • DONE M
                  • DONE T
              • CREATIVE WRITING
                • Writing Strands 
                  • DONE 12-6
                • LIFE SKILLS
                  • DONE Paperwork 
                KITCHEN
                • SOUPS (serving kept out for Monday - freeze the rest)
                • BREAD
                  • DONE Whole Wheat
                  • DONE Apple fritters - though eating as dessert
                • MAIN DISHES
                  • DONE Deviled eggs
                • DESSERTS and SALADS
                  • DONE Cabbage Apple raisin slaw
                  • DONE Potato salad
                QUILT  (Depending on what I finish today - I may add other projects!)
                • DONE BONNIE H. ARCHIVE NIGHT (Tues)
                • PIECE 
                  • DONE LE - Jamestown Landing - String  blocks
                  • Piecing
                    • Celtic Solstice
                      • DONE Borders!!!
                Learned:

                1. For Prepping challenge - CHECK CALENDAR BEFORE HEADING TO APPTS!  NO treats out!  This is for future reference!
                2. For treats - and I'm not sure how to do this - find something that will go for treats - and ONLY for treats and can withstand terrible onslaughts of "I wannas" in between treat times!  Chocolate milk????  Homemade hot caramel mocha?????  Homemade treat bars that I can store happily - and grab one (or two!) to go with when I have an appointment somewhere I would rather not go????  All workable!  And each can be re-packed in individualized sandwich or snack baggies and stored!  Keep in mind - that treats are an essential part of having fun while on a diet!  Or on a Prepping Challenge!
                  1. Homemade Sweet tea works almost as well and is easy to prepare and store in the refrig for those cold treat attacks!  HINT here - make some for tomorrow!
                3. Keep gas tank as full as possible.  To go anywhere in the car means having gas.  So - hint here - fill up gas tank right after using it.
                4. Keep bills paid up as much as possible.  Just because I could potentially be under a life-threatening situation does NOT mean that the mortgage people, the doctor's offices, electric company, phone company are.  Bills go marching on.... - and on... and on!!!!
                5. Keep some cash on hand.  Nothing like having NO money on your person and you need gas - or food - or whatever - and it's all in your bank account which is - unfortunately inaccessible and everyone is in chaos and NO ONE wants to hand out credit and credit card charges are not available (electricity again!)
                6. Keep meds on hand.  Some pharmacies offer 3 months prescriptions -which actually does NO good for stockpiling because you still have to wait until THAT prescription is out before refilling.  Meds that would be really tricky to do without include meds for thyroid, blood pressure, heart, "water" pills.  For those who have reflux disease (me, for instance) or who are allergic to cats (I have 4), trees, flowers, plants, grasses (again me!) meds are also necessary for some sort of comfort - although it IS possible to purchase and stockpile meds for these last two.  I do wonder and am concerned about what folks with diabetes and who are insulin dependent would do (I have a diabetic kitty - he uses recombinant insulin in shot form!) - about what they would do.
                7. Remember condiments ALSO need to be stored - ie, if making deviled eggs, it would be nice to have mustard on hand!  MUST remember to get more mayo - I'm on the last jar now!
                8. A touch of vinegar ALMOST works as well as mustard for that "deviled" flavor.  However dill weed - while good - does NOT work as well as the REST of the mustard flavor!

                1 comment:

                Judy D in WA said...

                The challenge is working for you! Look at the things you are thinking about now. I find it great to have the snacks prepacked in the fridge. Makes it so much easier than finding the something we shouldn't be having. I think you are doing great!

                Followers