What ARE the most important things in my life? What are my Power Reasons?
1. My family certainly - my son, my daughter, their spouses, my grandson Evan. Also the kids who came and stayed a while, whether officially or not - Kelly, Tray, Royal, Dawn, Haman, Sean, Dean, Josie, Jonathon and most certainly Sammi.
2. My little furry friends - my cats, the dogs who shared my life over the years, the gerbils, hamsters and Alfie - the guinea pig who thought she was a cat!
3. Being able to garden, see beauty in nature, see, appreciate and give thanks for God's gifts to the world.
4. Adding a 4th MAJOR reason here - my religious beliefs about God, religious observances.
To each point on my list, now, I add how my losing weight will affect this - what I will gain by losing those pounds and inches.
- Family - born, fostered - both official and unofficial, guardianship.
- Losing weight and exercising regularly means I will be around longer to enjoy my family.
- I'll be in good health so that my being around won't be a burden to my family.
- Furry friends
- Losing weight means I will be around longer to care about and for them, that they will continue to survive and survive well.
- Being around them longer means that my elderly kitties and critters can live out their lives instead of being put down because they are elderly.
- Garden and enjoying beauty of the world
- Losing weight and exercising regularly means that I will continue to raise a garden and not be a burden to society, my family, that I will not spend major $ in groceries or shops to guarantee my continued existence but can instead share with others
- Exercising regularly means I can interact with nature, can enjoy hikes in the countryside or around town, can garden and enjoy God's works on a daily basis.
- I'm not sure what losing weight and exercising regularly will do as regards religious observances and about giving thanks, except that I will be around longer to do so.
- Exercising regularly DOES mean however, that when called to read Torah, that I can do that and that is such a joy!
- Exercising regularly DOES mean that when given the chance to dance with the Torah on Simhat Torah - that I can, and that I can join in the processional around the synagogue on Sukkot - that I can participate more fully and with the joy I feel.
The 8 minutes book today mentioned that fruit juices, while tasting great and all, are loaded with calories. They suggested that I dilute the fruit juice with sparkling water and enjoy it that way. Already I dilute it by half. The idea is that over time I can dilute it more and more until there is only a hint of the fruit juice there. No, - I don't think I want to do that - sort of like diluting Nature's goodness until all that's left is the diluted part. Nope! Half and half - that I can live with - and that's where I'll stay!
Interesting thing I found out is that I can also dilute other things with sparkling water as well - wine (I have maybe 4 glasses a year - on Passover), tomato juice, and soda. I can do without the soda quite well! tomato juice - or even vegetable juice - that's a treat! I'm going to TRY that - but think I will probably stay with the real McCoy! We'll see!