Thursday, October 04, 2012

Quiltathon - Day 1


Oops!  I remembered this YESTERDAY!  But today?  An altogether different matter!  Has been an upside down/inside out day so far - starting when I woke up, knocked my phone for a loop and lost the battery for a while.  Eventually got that together.  Grabbed my weakened (melted ice) lemonade I had by my bed and carted that into the family room.  MEANT to put it on the filing cabinet/side table like I usually do and missed the whole derned thing!  Wiped up the mess - will have to scrub my wood floor later since it is sticky - but I would really like to get sewing!

Went to cook breakfast - tossed the egg innards and tried to fry shells!  UGH!!!!!!  This is NOT good!

However.... having gotten all the messups out of the way for the day, that means the rest of the day will progress smoothly and lovely!

I do believe in getting challenges out of the way early!

I'll post here off and on throughout the day - and may even post pix - who knows!  So stay tuned for more!
..........................................
(later - about 230 PM)

I finally decided to look at the time - and realized that I WAS hungry!!!! Lunch today is leftover stir fry and rice, grapes for dessert.

In the process of re-heating lunch - I decided dinner tonight will be chicken and noodles (it's leftover night - and I have LOTS of left over fried chicken from the deli - I don't fry decent chicken - and maybe some grain pudding - made from a mixture of grains that have eggs, sweetening, a little shortening, sometimes a dab of leftover cottage cheese or ricotta, any dried fruit, maybe vanilla (or rum or brandy extract) - and baked at 350 - a guess and by gosh and gee that looks about right kind of recipe - all that for dessert (a portion - the rest gets frozen in portion amounts)







Until now I ironed to the first part of Advice and Consent - BOY is that movie dated!  Good though if you can get past all the stereotypes.  Was pleased to recognize some of the names there - including my favorite Senator Dirkson from IL.

After I finished ironing (there was a LOT of pressing on work I did yesterday), I worked on the Granny Scrap quilt.  I sliced and diced the long strips I had previously gotten all ready - and on the strip conglomeration.  Also prepared my daily 6 S&D on the apple cider quilt.  All this to the sound of Mansfield Park by Jane Austen - on audio.  Starts like many Victorian and before novels - VERY slowly!  But now it is funny and I'm really enjoying it!  Especially when I can imagine Sir Thomas' astonishment when he arrives back home from his visit in the Carribean islands and discovers his room and study have been turned into a stage for a play that he THOROUGHLY disapproves of - with almost all his household (save Fanny) activing various parts in the play!  I do think though that were I he, I would have been a LOT more vocal about it!  and probably enough so that the neighbours would have complained of all the noise! 

I will say though that so much of this book reminds me so very much of Old Fashioned Girl by Louisa May Alcott - a much beloved favorite of mine!

Anyway - am going to eat now - then back to the sewing machine!  (salt mines?????)
....................................
Am quitting for a bit now.  It is 505 PM - and I'm tired!  I've sewn a big bunch of the 2 blocks into 4 block units (Apple Cider quilt) - much like the second to last picture above.

As far as the Granny Scrap quilt is concerned - MOST of the 9 patches (first picture) now have a 3.5 inch strip (first and second pictures) sewn to them (why do I poop out BEFORE I finish a step?) and quite a few of the "posts" (aka square in a square) units now have 4 sides.   Haven't done anything to the little HST's (need to measure and trim ears - sew together in twosies then foursies)

Probably going to read now for a bit!  Mansfield park is going along great!

More later
.................................
This is the later!!!

Nathan stopped by (twice) - told me he was going to Taco Bell - took me along (I seldom pass up any chance to eat out - so chicken and noodles are on the menu for 10-05!!!!

We talked a bit - he is trying to finish up work on the other house to get at least one unit ready for renting (which will pay the mortgage plus give a bit of additional income to "recoup" some of the money that went into the money pit - uh - house! (House didn['t look bad - UNTIL we after we started renovations - OH MY!  Anyway - it's in VERY good shape now for sure!  Should last forever.  And it had better!)

(Btw - should the text on this look wierd - that's because my computer is doing wierd things to most of the text around.  Silly thing!)

Didn't get back to sewing last night like I thought I would.  Instead I read until about 830 - then fell asleep! 

No comments:

Followers