Thursday, February 21, 2013

Dilly pickles!!!!!

Some people just LOVE sweet things.  I eat sweet things when offered - and in fact, don't dare make cookies, cakes or pies - because I will inhale them.  Mostly because they're THERE - and that's what you do - eat them, that is - not inhale them!

But what I REALLY love, crave to the point that I resemble Pavlov's dogs, are PICKLES!!!!  ALL kinds of pickles - quick lime pickles, bread and butter sweet pickles - but MOST especially DILL pickles!  and really have to pace myself on this or I will eat them until I'm sick!

A friend (Judy L.) is putting up pickled beets - which is bad enough since it got me to truly craving pickles again!  Then she asked what about carrots!  I LOVE dilly carrots!  Esp. if they have a bit of fire in them!  And Green beans - OH MY!  Pickled okra I haven't tried - YET - but I saw some jars in the grocers and how I made it out of there without them, I'll never know!

So - I live in MA - and there is a LOT of snow on the ground - and my carrot crop last year was virtually non-existent.  What's a girl to do?

Answer is simple - GO TO THE STORE!  Admittedly it's just not quite the same as when you raise your own - but it's at least better than none!

So - guess what I'm going to do today!!!!!  (Dilly carrots - here I come!)  And hopefully I'll have enough left to put up on the shelves to last me until I actually have home grown ones!

No comments:

Followers