Tuesday, June 19, 2012

State of the Garden - 06-19-12

I worked in the garden yesterday evening - and was able to ...... PICK my first Pea Pods!!!!  Yeehaw!  (Then I counted them!)

Of course -= there ARE more pea pods coming - and, no - those are NOT dried out.  Those are pea pods from India - and are SUPPOSED to be yellow! 



Re the peas - I also took pictures of the garden - Peas.....




As you can see - these peas are flowering!  (they are also not necessairly climbing the support either but kind of leaning all over everywhere!!!)

Beans still have some major misses - but are really doing pretty well.  No blooms yet - but some are climbing the fence.


This morning I finished weeding the salad section - and finally was able to plant the leeks (they were too small before now) - we'll see how they do - especially if the birds leave them alone!!!!!)



Yesterday I transplanted some of the late broccoli and cauliflower that I had planted in the garden (remember, the birds LOVED the coles that I had planted in the greenhouse and chowed down so happily!)  Cabbage plants, brussel sprouts and Collards that I had planted in the garden were still too small to be transplanted.  Re broccoli and cauliflower - I still have extras!

This morning I also weeded the rest of my sweet corn/okra and squash beds - as well as the watermelon, eggplant, pepper and tomatillo beds.  I have some misses - blasted birds!



Tomatoes look great - I do need to get some support in for some of them however.  Wonder if I can rig up something for the pumpkin vines?


Potatoes are blooming (some of them) and I am sooooooooooooooo late getting extra dirt in - will work on that starting this evening - maybe an hour a day until I get done???? 


I looked at the rest of the root crops - and it's a very mixed bag - mostly about misses - beets - yes, unless you count golden beets - which apparently the birds also love.  Only a dab of the parsnips sprouted and some of the salsify that had sprouted seems to have disappeared.  However right now that is a weedy mess and I will have to go through there and take closer look.

Have determined that I want more blueberries - maybe this fall?  Also I want to move my rhubarb plant over this direction - and maybe subdivide it - I sure like rhubarb and need a lot more!




Also this year I have added flowers as well - 2 rose bushes and some petunias - hope to expand that this month as well.


As for the State of the Garden....  There ya have it!!!!



No comments:

Followers