Thursday, June 28, 2012

State of the Garden - 06-26-12



Somehow I invariably feel like some sort of politician when I give the title.  I COULD change it, I suppose - but it also gives me a giggle somewhere along the line!

No pix today - BUT - just a bit of report....

Strawberries - like I said last time - are done Done DONE!!!! and trying to put runners all over the place!  (I keep saying back in your bed - but that does about as much good as nothing!)

Peas - I have pea pods - still the yellow ones which are good - just not  alot of them!  I also have a few green pea pods as well.

And once again - the birds and bugs have thoroughly enjoyed my snap peas and my regular peas!  Blast their lovely little hides!  However SO FAR the purple hull peas (at least that's what I THINK I planted there!) are still coming along!

Beans are starting to bloom - and some of the pole beans are vining quite well - my purple podded beans have now reached the top of the fence and are waving back at me when I walk through the garden.  Now as long as I don't have to stand in one place too long.....  At any rate I figure maybe a week before I have any beans to speak of!

Lettuce - Oh yeah!  I'm harvesting (thinning) the whole plant for salads!  Yum!  Nice and tender and sweet!  This will be almost a daily thing for me!

Birds found out that the onion plants will NOT attack them and have unkindly removed the onion plants on ONE side of the cabbage family plants!  They have also been chowing down on some of my transplanted cabbages!  Time to move Pfred the barn owl I think!

Other coles - I have baby (ready to transplant anytime now) cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, brussel sprouts - at least I HOPE that's brussel sprouts!, and collards - hopefully!  At any rate - lots of baby plants needing transplanting!  That's this weekend I think!

Corn and squash are now vying for space - and - yup - I did plant too closely - thinking of the disaster with the peas, etc. this spring.    Okra is up too!

Pumpkin is doing it's thing - and trying to go visit the sweet potato vines in the hills next to it.  So far I haven't given permission - nor am I likely to!

Tomatoes have definitely grown - and yup, sure enough, I found another 3 boxes of tomato plants I had raised that I need to put SOMEWHERE!!!!  Peppers, tomatillos, eggplant are still small.  I think a good bit of food (worm castings and peat moss) and water will help!

Beets - um = I need to do some replanting here.  And re salisfy, scorzonera - maybe I have 6 plants.  That's it!  Parsnips - maybe about the same number - and re Hamburg Parsley - your guess is as good as mine!  These are sloooooooooowwwwwwwww starters - but there is SLOW - and there is NOT AT ALL!  This is fresh seed - esp since these plants do NOT like to be held over - BUT - I am thinking the weeds, soil acidity (I REALLY need to check this out) and the shade (they SHOULD do reasonably well - they are root crops - and many root crops will tolerate shade much better than leafy crops) - but who knows!  Still - I'm taking care of what I have - and hoping more will appear later.  I also need more beets, as well as turnips, rutabagas, kohlrabi.  Not sure where those are going to happen - BUT I DO have a small strip between the sweet potatoes and the one and only blue berry bush (plus the rest of the line for blueberry bushes)  We'll see.

Potatoes - um - uh - they STILL need hilling up!  AND watering - that's this week.  For sure - especially if I want any sort of potato crop!  However - I HAVE seen some pretty nice looking tubers - that I carefully covered over with a bit of soil, etc.

Fruits - raspberries and blackberries - not quite yet - but working on it!  Blueberry - too young to really bear!

Pear tree - I have TWO baby pears!  so far they haven't done the June drop thingy.  Hopefully they will stay on the tree until time to remove them (you don't leave pears on the tree until fully ripe - unless you really enjoy stone cells!)  My one apple tree is doing great - and the other is definitely coming up out of the roots!  the peach tree and cherry tree are also looking great as well!  And I'm looking in the catalog at Stanley Prune (does NOT need a pollinator) and an apricot (hardy in this zone) as well.  Still would like another apple I think - but NOT those Lil Big trees.  Those things ONLY give a half bushel each.  And I want something not only for eating but also for canning for the winter!

Flowers - um - the 2 rose bushes I planted - I sure hope they come back.  So far the leaves turned dry and crispy - despite watering.  One rose bush I wasn't sure would survive anyway - but had hopes for the other one!  Re my petunia border - doing fine!  I'm thinking of adding some top soil to the fenceline - and planting more petunias, etc. there.  Sure smells nice!  Of course - you KNOW I'm allergic to them!  But they DO smell nice!

And the fence mess is GONE GONE GONE  - Yeehaw!

No comments:

Followers