Thursday, June 21, 2012

Yesterday's preserving Kettle Report


LOL - actually this was the FIRST picking of the pea-pods!   And no - I didn't wait too long before picking them!  These are from India - and are GOLDEN!

And no - I didn't preserve them!  Actually look quite nice in a salad!  They are also quite tasty!  Also ate the second picking - I had maybe 10 for that picking!  Wow!  LOL

Have been eating watermelon!  Eventually I will get over the immediate craving for watermelon - and can start preserving them.  Right now I can put up the rind in watermelon pickles.  For preserves - I have to wait twice - once to get over my "eat it NOW!!!" craving and the second time - for it to go through the 24 hour brine for pickling!  Same for Preserved watermelon rind! - and preserves for that matter!  YUM!

And of course, the juice is fantastic in watermelon sherbert - a slightly sweet and delicate flavor - very good!  And a favorite in my family (I put the sherbert up sometimes with a hint of lemon juice to "pick up" the flavor - and use an ice cream or ice-milk recipe for the sherbert.  EASY PEASY!

Will try to post pix today of finished pickles, etc.!

No comments:

Followers