Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Wha'cha Readin'? This week's edition....

ALMOST lilac season!  Nines and Dashes is the name of my quilt
FINISHED


Science Fiction/Fantasy

I loved this!  Very cute! No One Noticed the Cat - McCaffrey
VERY cool!  Love this!  Not sure - but did remember reading the first part all over again once before - either that or my prescient memory has kicked in again! Pegasus in Space - McCaffrey
An old favorite - read MANY times and enjoyed all over again! Double Star - Heinlein
Book of many favorites - read until it's falling apart! A Knot in the Grain - McKinley

Other Fiction
Enjoyed this book once again! An Angel for Emily - Deveraux


DVD/Videos - 
Wow!  Very good! Loved this! Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - about a young boy's search for memories of his father who died 09/11
Barbara Streisand at her finest!  The Main Event - a comedy



CURRENTLY READING

Audio Book
A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon  There are a total of 48 discs (I know I said 24 - it's 48) and I LOVE this book!  Part of the Outlander series.  In fact - I love it so much I have the 1st 4 books of the series!  Am currently on disc 26

Romance - quick reads -
Run, Hide - Ericson
Killer Body - James
Engaged with the Boss - James
Bundle of Trouble - James
The Pediatrician's Personal Protector - Kane
Detective Daddy - Kane
Private Security - Kane
Death of a Beauty Queen - Kane

Science Fiction/Fantasy
Deluge - McCaffrey

Other Fiction
Little Men - Alcott
Wishes - Deveraux

Nonfiction
There is No Me Without You - Greene

DVD/Videos - 
Moses - Still on my list
Origins: Nova: Disc 1 - this will also be part of my Science curricula

Textbooks
Basic Judaism -Am so far behind I wonder if I will catch up!!!!!

The Jewish Woman and her Home (Goldin) , Jewish Holidays and Festivals (Edidin), 40 Things You can do to save the Jewish People (Grishaver), This Is My God (Herman Wouk), It's a Mitzvah (), How to Run a Traditional Jewish Household (Greenberg),The Songs We Sing

Botany - both from an evolutionary standpoint as well as from an overall review of types, etc.
The World of Plants (which helps me set up my learning folder - VERY good, btw), The Evolution of Plants and Flowers (Thomas)Botany Coloring Book (P. Young),Science Scope (Stout) and any lectures online I can find  This WAS going to be a 3 month study - however it will run longer.  No problem!

Social studies - history - sort of in depth. 
Earth's history - an introduction which is what this week is.
Life on Earth by David Attenborough.  Introduction.
Usborne World History - Prehistoric World.  Prehistoric Time. What are Fossils? Clues from fossils. The Story of Life.
Thread of Life: The Smithsonian Looks at Evolution by Roger Lewin.  Introduction. 
Picture Atlas of Prehistoric Life. by Rand McNally.  Introduction: the Planet of Life. "Deep Time". A World in Change.
The Human Evolution Coloring Book by Adrienne L. Zihlman.  Introduction to Evolution.

Math - A review of basic algebra (my goal is to take calculus - but it has been soooooooooo many years!) I'm currently usingSaxon Math.  However I will have to order in the next 2 courses in math - those books were part of those that were ruined

Beginning Russian - I'm using the Power Glide language course which I like A LOT!  I also have 2 other beginning Russian books should this course appear to go too fast! So far - at one lesson a week - I'm on lesson 7 - will be going to lesson 8

Creative Writing - ummm am using the Writing Strands level 3 which is ok for instructing kids - HOWEVER....  But then as my daughter puts it - it IS practice and that's what counts!  I'm more than halfway through that book at present.  and yes, upon completion of level 3 - I DO have level 4.

Spelling - working on some of the rest of the 12,000 most frequently mispelled words. (Schools teach ONLY 4300 AT MOST! and based on the high school kids I teach - schools don't teach it well!)  I'm using Spelling Power - which WORKS!

Exercise - We Win - which is a book for a 1 year program.  Thought I would try it myself this year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think I missed that Pern book somehow! Thanks for the referral. It's on my library list now.

Followers