Thursday, April 04, 2013

Wha'cha Readin' (yup - Tuesday comes late this week!)


FINISHED

Romance - quick reads -

Deception
Mason
Dade
Gage
The Texas Lawman's Last Stand
Standoff at Mustang Ridge
A Game of Chance (Howard)
Tears of the Renegade (Howard)

OTHER BOOKS
Gifts from the Heart (Hart)
Lily's Pesky Plant (Disney) - a kids book - but should be fun - I hope!

Mystery and other reads - light and otherwise
Above Suspicion by LaPlante (Not Helen McInnes who had book by the same name)
Turn of Mind
The Bells of Freedom  - I've read this before - but it's been YEARS!  A kid's historical fiction read
Marmee & Louisa - the untold story of Louisa May Alcott and her mother.  AWESOME book!

Nonfiction
The American Kitchen 1700 to the Present (la Plante) actually this one SHOULD go back but I enjoy reading about the kitchen things in all the different periods of time

Other Reads
Now we come to my text books! this is the BTDT group, mind you!

Botany The Private Life of Plants (Attenborough),

Social studies - history - sort of in depth.  Finishing up learning folders in/on archaeology. The ATlas of Archaeology (Taylor), 

For now, I just need PRACTICE - which I am definitely getting!!!!  Handwriting - something I do periodically - that is, if I want to read my own writing!!!  I'm working on Italics Now!

Have discontinued membership until next Oct., Nov. - it's GARDEN time!  Woohoo! Exercise - which until gardening season happens means I don't get enough!  Currently am using both exercises dil showed me - takes about 10-15 minutes, plus going to the gym (Planet Earth) to work on strength training and bicycling on rainy days as well

CURRENTLY READING

Audio Book
A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon  There are a total of 48 discs (I know I said 24 - it's 48) and I LOVE this book!  Part of the Outlander series.  In fact - I love it so much I have the 1st 4 books of the series!

Romance - quick reads -
Run, Hide - Ericson
Killer Body - James
Engaged with the Boss - James
Bundle of Trouble - James
The Pediatrician's Personal Protector - Kane
Detective Daddy - Kane
Private Security - Kane
Death of a Beauty Queen - Kane

Science Fiction/Fantasy
No One Noticed the Cat - McCaffrey
Deluge - McCaffrey
Pegasus in Space - McCaffrey
Double Star - Heinlein
A Knot in the Grain - McKinley

Other Fiction
Little Men - Alcott
Wishes - Deveraux
An Angel for Emily - Deveraux

Nonfiction
There is No Me Without You - Greene

DVD/Videos - 
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - about a young boy's search for memories of his father who died 09/11
The Main Event - a comedy
Moses - I KNEW there was something I forgot during Passover!!!!  These is part of my curricula for Passover!  Had these movies set out - and totally forgot them!  there are 2
Origins: Nova: Disc 1 - this will also be part of my Science curricula

Textbooks
Basic Judaism - a review over basic tenets - this quarter I'm reviewing holidays, etc. and level of celebration  Currently finishing up a learning folder on Passover.  Should be beginning Holocause Rememberance Day which is on the 8th.

The Jewish Woman and her Home (Goldin) , Jewish Holidays and Festivals (Edidin), 40 Things You can do to save the Jewish People (Grishaver), This Is My God (Herman Wouk), It's a Mitzvah (), How to Run a Traditional Jewish Household (Greenberg),The Songs We Sing

Botany - both from an evolutionary standpoint as well as from an overall review of types, etc.
The World of Plants (which helps me set up my learning folder - VERY good, btw), The Evolution of Plants and Flowers (Thomas)Botany Coloring Book (P. Young),Science Scope (Stout) and any lectures online I can find  This WAS going to be a 3 month study - however it will run longer.  No problem!

Social studies - history - sort of in depth.  Finishing archaeology. The ATlas of Archaeology (Taylor).  Starting Sunday I will be working on the Pre-Cambrian History - Archaean first!  Am using the Nova DVD's, some things gleaned from (of all places!) Pinterest, plus my Coloring Book of Evolution.  Additionally - I have LOTS of dinosaur and pre and post dinosaur videos as well.  DO need to make a timeline of some sort to hang up!

Math - A review of basic algebra (my goal is to take calculus - but it has been soooooooooo many years!) I'm currently usingSaxon Math.  However I will have to order in the next 2 courses in math - those books were part of those that were ruined

Beginning Russian - I'm using the Power Glide language course which I like A LOT!  I also have 2 other beginning Russian books should this course appear to go too fast! So far - at one lesson a week - I'm on lesson 7 - will be going to lesson 8

Creative Writing - ummm am using the Writing Strands level 3 which is ok for instructing kids - HOWEVER....  But then as my daughter puts it - it IS practice and that's what counts!  I'm more than halfway through that book at present.  and yes, upon completion of level 3 - I DO have level 4.

Spelling - working on some of the rest of the 12,000 most frequently mispelled words. (Schools teach ONLY 4300 AT MOST! and based on the high school kids I teach - schools don't teach it well!)  I'm using Spelling Power - which WORKS!

Exercise - We Win - which is a book for a 1 year program.  Thought I would try it myself this year!

No comments:

Followers