Monday, September 09, 2013

My Sewing Room UPDATE!


Sorry about the sideways view!
Cabinet is made up of 2 smaller 3 drawer cabinets stacked one on top of the other
and is used for strips - 3.5, 2.5, 2.0,  1.5, 1.0.
Strips in each drawer (sized by width) are divided into light and dark.



Another 2 sideways views!  Sorry!  We will ignore the mending (to the left of the strip cabinet and right of the shelving!). Shelving is 6' tall, 30" deep, and each shelving unit is approximately 4 - 5 foot wide. Yardage is  subdivided by main color, refolded so it will stack uniformly - that is on the LEFT side of each shelf.  On the right is yardage that I use for sewing (IF and WHEN I get around to it!) and it is mostly just folded!  Plastic bins hold FQ of that color.  Repros share the shelf with the browns and beiges, with homespun, holiday, patriotic fabrics below that on the left and flannels on the right.  On the very top of the shelves I keep holiday ornaments, keepsake storage, trims - each in its own bins and labeled.

Here you can get a better idea of the blues shelf.  Below that are the orange and yellow fabrics and FQs, as well as the black and gray fabrics and FQs and yardage for sewing.  Bins for block units (3.5, 2.5, 2.0, 1.5 - light and dark sit on top of the  FQ bins.  

Cutting table has my magazine holder which I use to hold patterns as well as non-hangable plastic templates.  The green thing lieing flat on the table is an old 3-drawer cabinet lid that I re-purposed with the addition of felt fabric and packing tape into a mini-design wall.  It works.

This closet is actually only 9 - 12 inches deep - so I use it for plastic template rulers (hangable), storage (above) and as a place to store my machine cart-a-long.

Even my door gets used a lot!  Here I hang my most used rulers as well as a listing of my UFOs, machine threading  instructions, and a copy of  my to-do list

My machine desk - complete with the strips I have GOT to turn into 4 patches this week and send on their way.  Flimsies sit in bins under the desk on the left (blond spot is my Widget kitty!)  In the black bag is my son and dil's wedding quilt which I need to do the final quilting and binding on - they celebrated their first anniversary last Saturday.

More UFOs (other ufos on bottom shelves of the big fabric shelves).  Also books.  Small drawers are for sewing tools - ie, measuring tapes, scissors and slicers, etc.  Videos were gifted to me by a friend who knew I liked to watch quilting movies.

My work basket - is supposed to have ONLY the things in it that actually are on the design wall for the week.  Supposedly!
Yup - Birthday month!  Time for a sewing room update - and more yet - to CLEAN the sewing room!

(that is clean it more than the usual run the dustmop and duster over everything!)

I belong to a Stashbusters group - and decided to do pix of my sewing room along with a report on my stash - birthday update!  First I decided to pick up a little in there - you know - 15 minutes of pick up...........


4.5 HOURS later I was able to take pictures!  MOST of it had been straight - but the parts that weren't more than made up for lost time!

And I STILL have a humongous box under my cutting table with fabric scraps in bags that are color coded - for the most part.  Scraps are to be sliced and diced into strips, blocks or used as strings or even crumbs.  What's left goes in one of the 3 Nestle Quik boxes sitting on my sewing table and goes to a lady who uses them as stuffing for doggie beds.

No comments:

Followers