Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Hmmm - which will I choose????

For THIS week's recipe post - I need to post something with CREAMED CORN in it.  So far my Mom's Corn Pudding comes to mind, first and foremost!  But then my ancient cookbook (which has a slight variation that is good - but I don't like quite as well) of the corn pudding recipe calls that ALSO Deviled corn.  AND the same cookbook carries a recipe for Corn Oysters as well.  Which sounds interesting!  All recipes are fairly easy! So I may make one tonight (my mom's corn pudding) and eat the other one for breakfast tomorrow (corn oysters - and no, there are NO oysters in there!)

LOL - just discovered something - FINALLY found my mom's handwritten corn pudding recipe - and apparently all these years I had made it using creamed corn while she used niblet corn!  To make matters even MORE complicated - somewhere along the line I (as a brand newly married cook at the time) interpreted the C as a CAN instead of cup!  Hmmm!

Mom's Corn Pudding (as changed somewhat in the making by me!)

2 Cups niblet corn and juice (this is the part I though involved CREAMED corn instead - and personally I like the texture a bit better!)
2 eggs
2 Tablespoons corn starch
1/2 cup sugar

Mix together, bake in a buttered casserole for half an hour then put on lid for half hour.  Cook until pudding forms.

The Variation - Corn Pudding or Deviled Corn recipe that I found in my American Woman Cookbook published by the Culinary Arts Institute (I don't know who the author or editor is) probably between 1910 and 1920 suggests:
2 Tablespoons fat
2 Tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon mustard
Paprika
2 cups corn pulp (creamed corn)
1 egg
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Buttered crumbs.

Make a sauce of fat, flour, milk, and seasonings, add corn, egg slightly beaten, and worcestershire sauce.  Pour into a baking-dish, cover with buttered crumbs and bake in a moderate oven (350 - 400 F) 15 to 30 minutes.

Corn Oysters (also from the same American Woman Cookbook)

2 cups corn pulp (creamed corn)
2 eggs
2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons fat
salt and pepper

If fresh corn is used, grate it from the cob with a coarse grater.  Beat the egg-yolks and whites separately and add to the grated corn, with flour and fat, salt and pepper.  Drop the batter from a spoon into hot fat (360-370 F) and fry light brown (2-3 minutes).  Drain on soft paper.  Serve hot.

Pictures of all to follow!

No comments:

Followers