Wednesday, January 30, 2013

What's Cookin' - Tofu Parm

I think I'm going to make Tofu Parmigiana and post that.  This is my dinner tonight!

My recipe comes from Allrecipes.com and ya gotta love that site!


Basically what you have to remember is that you're going to do this as though you were doing chicken Parmesan - only instead of chicken you have Tofu.  Also because Tofu itself is so bland - you need stronger than something to give it flavor.

Also - as you can see here - I'm going to cheat - A LOT!  (I'm tired and hungry!)

The Tofu is the firm type - the one that looks like (and by itself tastes like) a sponge.  Raw!  You're going to slice this into several slices.  This is your "chicken".

The bread crumbs ) I used here are Italian flavoured - which means that it had a whiff of Italian seasonings waved past it.  Panko crumbs are great!  If  you're like me and don't have Panko crumbs - then really any dried and lightly toasted bread crumbs will do - only make sure you add oregano, black pepper (I don't do salt), garlic and basil to taste.  I like mine SPICY!  You will need 1/2 cup of the crumbs - or thereabouts.

You need the tofu to hold on to the bread crumbs - which it doesn't really like to do too well on its own.  The directions I had suggested soaking the slices in cold water, then pressing the tofu into the bread crumbs.  I didn't (I forgot!).

You will brown the tofu in some olive oil (not a lot - just enough to keep it all from sticking too badly) on one side until crispy, then  flip it (I had to add more olive oil at this point.)

Mix up your tomato sauce with all kinds of Italian spices (oregano, basil, black pepper, garlic - you know the routine!) and pour a THIN layer into 8 x 8 pan.  Put the tofu slices in it and top with the rest of the sauce.

Mix up mozzarella cheese and Parmesan (I tend to overdo this - but then our family is full of cheese-a-holics! LOL) and heat at about 400 for about 20 minutes or until the cheese has thoroughly heated and melted.

Um - I didn't hear my timer go off - so this IS a bit overdone - but not badly!  Still delicious!

No comments:

Followers