Wednesday, January 02, 2013

What's Cookin' - Sweet Potato Waffles!!!!

I found this recipe in my The American Woman's Cookbook, written by - uh - this is REALLY hard to read (front cover is missing and the end part is literally worn thing to almost invisible!!!) Patricia (?), published by Culinary Arts Institute.  This is the 3rd or 4th book I've owned (identical - they get used a LOT and moved around entirely too much!) so the copyright (also missing) should be around 1920, I believe (title page also missing along with copyright date!  At any rate - it's on page 416.

Also - what I fixed is a slight modification of the following recipe (at the end)

Sweet potato waffles - DELICIOUS!!!!!  One with whipped cream topping (cool whip) and one with cinnamon sugar (and butter) topping  Either way - GREAT!

Sweet Potato Waffles

4 Tablespoons fat
1 Tablespoon sugar**
1 egg
1 cup mashed sweet potato*
3/4 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup milk**
Salt, cayenne, nutmeg**

Mix the fat and sugar to a cream, stir in the well-beaten egg yolk***, potato, flour, baking powder, milk and seasonings, and beat well until smooth.  Fold in the stiffly beaten egg white***.  Bake in a heated waffle iron until golden brown.  Serve, dusted with sugar and cinnamon as an accompaniment to roast duck or turkey.

MY modifications:
* I wasn't sure how much sweet potato there was -  I knew it was at least a cup and less than 1 1/2 cups - it was a big one - so I just added the whole thing.
** I had this carton of egg nog which I really needed to use up.  So - instead of the sugar, milk, seasonings (I shouldn't eat salt, didn't want cayenne THIS time, and am out of nutmeg anyway!) I just measured out 1 cup of eggnog (generic)
*** This could have ended in disaster - comes from NOT reading directions clear through but thinking that I know what to do!  Even with the eggnog above - I just added the whole egg and didn't separate nor stiffly beat the eggwhites - just the whole thing - worked out GREAT - although the extra egg in the eggnog probably helped a lot!

2 comments:

Judy D in AZ said...

Sounds like you did a good job using what was at hand! I need to do more of that. I'm glad the waffles were a winner

Kucki68 said...

Sounds yummy

Followers